Sunday, January 18, 2015

Flax Seed Banana Bread


My weekday morning routine usually consists of a green smoothie and a "healthy" muffin or yummy bread. Let's be honest, I could eat a buttery almond croissant every morning but I try to save those for special occasions. You know, like the weekend. :)

One of my all time favorite recipes is this Banana Almond Muffin recipe but when I want to do something different with my ripe bananas, I go for a more traditional banana bread. This recipe is great because it is made with coconut oil and maple syrup. I even add greek yogurt for some protein. The yogurt is an alternative to a banana so, if you don't have the greek yogurt, just add in another ripe banana instead.

Flax Seed Banana Bread
adopted from my fav, Smitten Kitchen

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 large ripe bananas
1/3 cup greek yogurt
1 large egg
1/3 cup coconut oil, warmed until it liquefies
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup flax seed

- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with some of your coconut oil and set aside.
- In a bowl (I used my KitchenAid stand mixer), mash up the bananas and then mix in the yogurt.
- Whisk in egg, coconut oil, brown sugar, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and still until combined.
- Still in flour (1/2 cup at a time if you are using the mixer) and the flax seed.

Pour mixture into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until your toothpick comes out clean when you test it.

Note: Let the bread cool in the pan before you remove it. I have no patience so I usually pull my bread out too early and haven't allowed it enough time to cool and finish baking in the warm pan. It is easier to slice if it is cooled too.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment