This recipe rocks! And if I can do it, anyone can do it. I found it on Allrecipes.com - Biscotti Toscani. I followed it step by step. The only difference was, I used cinnamon instead of nutmeg.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar (I used my KitchenAid mixer).
2. Next, add the eggs, vanilla, almond extract, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and orange zest.
3. Mix in the flour and then the almonds
4. Divide the dough in half. Take each half and roll into logs about 12 inches long.
(*one of my logs was longer and skinner because I wanted some smaller pieces of biscotti)
5. Then flatten the logs until they are about 1/2 inch tall.
6. Place both loaves on a well-greased and floured baking sheet.
7. Bake in oven for 25 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
8. With a serrated knife, cut diagonally into slices about 1/2 inch thick. Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, turning over once. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
9. Microwave the chocolate chips until melted and then drizzle over the cooled biscotti. Let stand at room temperature for the chocolate to harden. Voila!
They were a big hit with the family and tasted great! I highly suggest giving this recipe a try, it was fun baking something a little different.